About the Journal
ADVIC publishes novel works on imaging science and both biological and computational vision, with special emphases on dynamic environments and controls. It also promotes education, career development, and community services on ADVIC.
In physics, once equilibrium and statics are well understood, one moves on to more sophisticated kinetics and dynamics, e.g., Lagrangian dynamics or Schrödinger quantum dynamics. This path should enlighten imaging and vision as well.
For decades, imaging and vision sciences have largely remained "static," in the sense that the main focuses have been the acquisition, processing, and understanding of individual images, scenes, or static ensembles of them.
With the explosive development of modern imaging-related technologies and their ubiquitous applications across the entire spectra of modern industrial and social activities, imaging and vision sciences eventually reach their core mission - to help map, decipher, and navigate through the space (x) and time (t) of the physcial or biological world.
The t-component is especially important for modern applications such as automated or guided real-time medical surgeries, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) such as drones, and the rapidly evoloving industry of autonomous ground vehicles (AGV) (and perhaps for some day in the future, successful hybrids of UAVs and AGVs).
An increasingly important task is dynamic controls, based on the real-time image signals and their visual interpretation established for a dynamic environment. The examples include precision farming using auto-piloting drones, precision auto surgeries, and robust autonomous driving in all lighting, weather, or ground conditions. Each application involves a dynamic environment Xt, and an optimal action decision ut to be made for the immediate next. Based on the objectives chosen and the optimization techniques adopted, this naturally connects to classical dynamic programming and optimal controls or modern machine learning.
ADVIC publishes all novel contributions related to this grand theme, as interpreted in the broadest sense.
In particular, innovative theoretical or computational methodologies in general imaging and vision are always welcome.
In addition, ADVIC is also committed to education and community services, and publishes:
- (Education) General commentaries on undergraduate- or graduate-level teaching and education on ADVIC (written by teaching professors)
- (Career Development) In-depth commentaries or views related to the career development on ADVIC
- (Book Reviews) Independent and professional reviews of published books (or softwares) on ADVIC
- (Special Issues as Conference Proceedings (for conference/session organizers)) Entire proceedings on ADVIC-related conferences or sessions, already refereed and accepted by conference/session organizers
Please write to the Dedicated Editor at email@example.com, if any questions arise.
Unique Operating Model:
As an online open-access journal, ADVIC operates very differently from the rest.
- (Dedicated Editor) All manuscripts are reviewed and edited by the Dedicated Editor (DE). DE is an entirally new concept and subject to the test of time. The exceptions are special issues for conference proceedings, for which the organizers are responsible for reviewing and accepting papers while the DE will work on the final copyediting.
- (Moderately For-Profit) With dedicated full-time reviewing and editing, ADVIC is openly for-profit, but on a moderate level to cover the costs of dedicated web hosting and IT development, various application or license fees (e.g., DOI via CrossRef), and the stipend of the Editor, etc.
- (Discretionary) A manuscript could be returned if it falls outside the expertise of the DE. But returning will never be based on irrelevant factors such as race or gender, etc.
- (Real-Time Reviewing: 5D5W) A new submission is either "Returned to Authors" or "Accepted for Review" in 5 business days. If Accepted for Review, the initial round of review and decision will be completed in 5 weeks, during which the DE and the Corresponding Author(s) will maintain close or real-time communication.
Hence ADVIC is similar to a discretionary OTC (over-the-counter) product common in the financial service industry. Only authors who understand and are comfortable with this unique operating model should submit.
To sum up, ADVIC is a discretionary, moderately for-profit, and online open-access journal. Cost reduction is made possible by assigning a full-time DE covering all the combined work loads of Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor, Associate Editor(s), referees, journal secretaries, IT developers and site masters, copyeditors, and marketing staffs if any. As a result, in order to build up and maintain high scientific and industrial values, the number of accepted submissions each month or the size of the backlog will be capped dynamically.
- 2020 Q4 and 2021 Q1: Site Design and Reliability Testing; Pending ISSN Approval; CrossRef DOI Application
- 2021 Q1 and Q2 Onward: Accepting All Submissions; Finalizing ISSN from the Library of Congress after Issue No. 1